When you have finally gotten the job of your dreams, the next step is to know how to fit in and adapt to the working conditions of your new work environment. New hires should not think they have months to settle in because that is far from what employers expect from them.
Employers expect you to fit in and start getting results in as quickly as possible. Here are some tips to help you fit in quickly.
- Be punctual. Having clarified the exact time work starts for you, get there in time. Be early enough to meet morning briefings, if any. It is a good way to ease in as you would be better informed on happenings at your place of work.
- Stay positive. Fill your mind with positive thoughts. Tell yourself that you will be the best at what you do. Constantly tell yourself you are going to love your colleagues and enjoy your work place. Whatever you do, visualize a great day on your first day, and for days ahead.
- Ask questions about your responsibilities from the beginning. Do not start with assumptions. Know your designated responsibilities. Try to figure out how your role fits and benefits the company at large. You can request for feedback after sometime to make sure you are on the right track.
- Be friendly. Be polite; and learn the names of your colleagues – it shows respect. Ask them for how long they have been in the company. This could help you know who know who to ask the relevant questions when you get stuck on some thing ideas, tasks, or projects.
- Learn about your new job. If you have had previous experience in a similar position, then you should not find it difficult to settle in very well. This gives you a head-start. If you had not prior experience in a similar role, learn as fast and as much as you can about your job. Read a lot; ask questions from your supervisor, carefully listen to instructions and advice from people carefully, attend training, workshops, and seminars.