All business owners have professional bios. Every business has an owner and every owner has a professional bio online and/or on paper. If you check out LinkedIn, “about me” sections of various websites and some blogs, you will notice that most are as boring as hell. You reading this post might be guilty as well.
In a bid to portray ourselves as all serious and professional, we lull our audience, potential partners and contributors to sleep with straight-jacketed bios which are all about our professional history.
What say you jazz it up, make it funny even to you — professional yet humorous? Why not include several pieces about you after all; you are the one behind the brand. Do you have partners or a dedicated team working with you? Why not tell them to dig up hilarious/interesting things about themselves which would be of use to your business’ image? You never can tell, you know?
Why not try using the answers to any of these questions:
- How did your childhood prepare you for your job today?
- What’s your dream occupation- the one job you would love to do if you weren’t doing what you are doing now?
- Describe your first car and what you loved or hated about it
- Do you have hidden talents most people don’t know about?
- What one accomplishment are you most proud of?
- What’s the most unusual item in your desk drawer?
- What embarrassing mistake have you made that has taught you a lesson?
- What’s your favourite sports team and how far will you go to support them?
- What’s your guilty pleasure?
- What’s on your bucket list?
Do you see the interesting stories you can weave from your answers? Did they bring a smile to your face? Then they will do the same for your clients and anyone that come across your bio.
These ideas are some of Joan Stewart’s in the article “13 Fun Facts That Will Make Your “About Me” A Lot Less Boring”. The aim of all these is to jazz up/ instill more life into your “About me” section. Pick whichever ones that fit into your kind of business or company and let it ride. They will help make people see the interesting and/or humorous side of you.
What do you think? Let us know in the comments section below.
Featured image via.